- The aggregate energy consumed by information processing equipment has been growing dramatically with time, both on an absolute basis and as a fraction of the total.
- Energy consumption of electronic devices, which is proportional to the square of their operating voltages, has been reaching a lower limit.
- Energy used to manipulate a single bit of information is currently 106 times greater than the theoretical limit.
In ResponseThe Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (E3S) was established to:
- Open a new energy efficiency frontier in information technology by developing transformative science and technology that reduce energy consumption in electronic systems by orders of magnitude.
- Inspire and train a diverse generation of scientists, engineers, and technicians that applies this new science and technology to benefit society.