- Download the 2014 E3S TTE Research Program Information Flyer.
2014 Program Dates
June 7 - August 9
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program, organized by the Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science, in partnership with the Center of Integrated Nanomechanical Systems and the Synthetic Biology Engineering Research Center, provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are in the following technical areas:
- Energy Efficient Electronic Sciences; click here to learn more.
- Nanotechnology and Nanoscience; click here to learn more.
- Bioengineering and Synthetic Biology; click here to learn more.
- Learn about research by past TTE interns.
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,200 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $250)
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident to apply. International students are NOT eligible for this program.
- 3.25 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- Completed two calculus courses. (You may be enrolled in your 2nd calculus course at the time of application.)
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component. (You may be enrolled in your 3rd science or engineering course at the time of application.)
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2014.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2014.
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Completed online application form
- Two recommendations: at least one from current faculty in science or engineering
- Unofficial or official academic transcript from all attended colleges / universities
- Sample work
To apply to the TTE REU program, Follow these Steps:
Download and READ the TTE Research Program Information & Application Packet before filling out the application on-line.
Download or print the Letter of Recommendation Form . Provide your recommenders the form and inform your recommenders their letters must be RECEIVED by our office no later than January 31, 2014. They may send their recommendations via email, fax or regular mail.
Send sample work and an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) via email, fax or regular mail. Please note you must send a transcript for every undergraduate institution you have attended. Admitted applicants will be asked to submit an official transcript at the time of acceptance.
Complete the on-line application. Click here to apply on-line.
Applications by mail or fax will NOT be accepted.
Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2014
- All applications and supporting documents (letters of recommendations, transcripts and sample work) must be received by no later than Friday, January 31, 2014.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Notification of decisions is expected to be sent in mid to late March.
- An application will be reviewed once all required documentation are received.
Questions and Supporting Documents can be Addressed to:
ATTN: Lea Marlor, Program Manager
University of California
562 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Fax: (510) 666-2022