To enable a radical reduction in energy consumption in electronic devices:
- Research to lead to fundamentally new science;
- Educate a diverse generation of scientists, engineers, and technicians;
- Promote the application of the Center’s research outcomes.
- Concentrates on two fundamental components of digital information processing systems: the digital logic switch and the short-medium range communication of information between logic elements.
- Seek to approach the fundamental limits on the energy consumption required to process information.
- Establish fundamental advances in physics, chemistry, and materials science.
Congratulations to Professor Sayeef Salahuddin!
Named by the White House to be a recipient of the 2016 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
To contribute to the development of a diverse generation scientists and engineers:
- Be knowledgeable in the scientific approaches to low energy digital electronics systems;
- Appreciate that diverse teams optimize creativity; and
- Understand the process of innovation and the transition of research results to commercially-viable products.
Berkeley Symposium on Energy Efficient Systems
- Focus on breakthrough improvements in energy efficiency for information processing systems
- Eco-system perspective: ultra low-power nanoelectronic devices, circuit design, chip-scale architecture, interconnects, networks, software, storage systems, servers, data centers and supercomputers
M. Amani, D.-H. Lien, D. Kiriya, J. Xiao, A. Azcatl, J. Noh, S. R. Madhvapathy, R. Addou, S. K. C., M. Dubey, K. Cho, R. M. Wallace, S.-C. Lee, J.-H. He, J. W. Ager III, X. Zhang, E. Yablonovitch, and A. Javey, Near-Unity Photoluminescence Quantum Yield in MoS2, Science, Nov 2015.
F. Niroui, A. I. Wang, E. M. Sletten, Y. Song, J. Kong, E. Yablonovitch, T.M. Swager, J.H. Lang, and V. Bulović, Tunneling Nanoelectromechanical Switches Based on Compressible Molecular Thin Films, ACS Nano, Aug 2015.
M. S. Eggleston and M. C. Wu, Efficient Coupling of an Antenna-Enhanced nanoLED into an Integrated InP Waveguide, Nano Lett., May 2015.
J. Hong, B. Lambson, S. Dhuey, and J. Bokor, Experimental Test of Landauer's Principle in Single-Bit Operations on Nanomagnetic Memory Bits, Sci. Adv., Mar 2016.
S. Artis, C. Amelink, and T.-J. King Liu, Examining the Self-Efficacy of Community College STEM Majors: Factors Related to Four Year Degree Attainment, Community Coll. J. Research and Practice, Mar 2015.
|Jul 28:||Seminar presented by Prof. T.-J. King Liu from UC Berkeley|
|Aug 4:||Summer programs joint poster session at UC Berkeley|
|Sep 15-16:||2016 E3S Annual Retreat at UC Berkeley|
|Sep 17:||2016 E3S Student Retreat dedicated to student and postdoc professional development.|
- E3S further expands summer research opportunities.
- E3S promotes collaborations among member institutions.
- Bokor Research Group experimentally confirms the Landauer Limit.
- Yablonovitch received the 2016 Buckley Physics Prize at the APS March Meeting.
- Salahuddin selected to receive a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.