To enable a radical reduction in energy consumption in electronic devices:
- Research to lead to fundamentally new science;
- Educate a diverse generation of scientists, engineers, and technicians;
- Promote the application of the Center’s research outcomes.
- Concentrates on two fundamental components of digital information processing systems: the digital logic switch and the short-medium range communication of information between logic elements.
- Seek to approach the fundamental limits on the energy consumption required to process information.
- Establish fundamental advances in physics, chemistry, and materials science.
World's Smallest Transistor To Date!
Fabricated by a team of researchers led by E3S investigator and UC Berkeley professor, Ali Javey
To contribute to the development of a diverse generation scientists and engineers:
- Be knowledgeable in the scientific approaches to low energy digital electronics systems;
- Appreciate that diverse teams optimize creativity; and
- Understand the process of innovation and the transition of research results to commercially-viable products.
J.T. Teherani, S. Agarwal, W. Chern, P.M. Solomon, E. Yablonovitch, and D.A. Antoniadis, Auger Generation as an Intrinsic Limit to Tunneling Field-Effect Transistor Performance, J. Appl. Phys., Aug 2016. doi: 10.1063/1.4960571
K. Kato, V. Stojanović, and T.-J. King Liu, Embedded Nano-Electro-Mechanical Memory for Energy-Efficient Reconfigurable Logic, IEEE Electron Device Lett., Dec 2016. doi: 10.1109/LED.2016.2621187
C. Heidelberger and E.A. Fitzgerald, Heavy P-Type Carbon Doping of MOCVD GaAsP Using CBRCl3, J. Cryst. Growth, Jul 2016. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2016.04.028
J. Hong, A. Hadjikhani, M. Stone, F. Allen, V. Safonov, P. Liang, J. Bokor, and S. Khizroev,
The Physics of Spin-transfer Torque Switching in Magnetic Tunneling Junctions in Sub-10-nm Size Range,
IEEE Trans. Magn., Jul 2016.
S. Artis, C. Amelink, and T.-J. King Liu, Examining the Self-Efficacy of Community College STEM Majors: Factors Related to Four Year Degree Attainment, Community Coll. J. Research and Practice, Mar 2015. doi: 10.1080/10668926.2014.941514
- World’s smallest transistor fabricated by a research team led by Professor Ali Javey
- TTE research interns presented at peer-reviewed conferences.
- Multiple honors for E3S Theme Leader, Professor Tsu-Jae King Liu
- E3S further expands summer research opportunities.
- E3S promotes collaborations among member institutions.
- Bokor Research Group experimentally confirms the Landauer Limit.
- Yablonovitch received the 2016 Buckley Physics Prize at the APS March Meeting.
- Salahuddin selected to receive a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.